What is Camera Link HS (CLHS)?
Camera Link HS is designed to specifically meet the needs of vision and imaging applications. It provides low latency, low jitter, real-time signals between a camera and a frame grabber while carrying image data, control data and trigger events. The interface builds upon the key strengths of Camera Link by adding new features and functions to meet customer’s demands of today and tomorrow. Camera Link HS is designed from a system point of view, ensuring that CMOS sensor technology can be fully exploited, while cost effective cameras and frame grabbers that are easy to use, flexibility and provide reliability data demanded by customers
• Effective bandwidth of about 1187 MB/s (CLHS X-Protocol - 10G) per lane equals roughly three times a USB 3.0 bandwidth.
• Several lanes and cables can be used in parallel to increase the bandwidth.
• Multiple frame grabbers can be used to increase bandwidth.
More robust connection
• No communication error with Single Bit Errors at a Bit Error Rate (BER) of 10-12
because of using a Forward Error Correction algorithm (FEC).
• Forward Error Correction corrects burst errors of up to 11 Bits on the fly.
• With FEC (Forward Error Correction) is no Packet Resend for data reliability necessary.
• Fiber Optic Link (FOL) provides high resistance to EMC and allows long cable lengths with the best signal integrity.
• Cable length up to 300m using multimode fiber.
• 10km with single mode fiber and standard LC connectors.
• Real-time trigger over cable with jitter less than 12.8ns for X-Protocol.
• Plug and Play with GenICam and GenCP.
• The full CLHS specification is downloadable for free.
• AIA IP-core is available for fast compliant FPGA implementation (Xilinx, Altera, Lattice).
More cost effective
• The use of standard network hardware components such as SFP+ (Enhanced small form-factor pluggable) connector from multiple vendors allows multi sourcing.
• inexpensive licensing.